“Lagareiro” fresh cod
Learn how to make this typical Portuguese recipe with fresh cod and olive oil. Lagareiro is the name in Portuguese for the owner of an olive press. It is a simple and colourful dish that will enchant your guests with its lightness and flavours.
PREPARATION - 25 minutes
COOKING - 1 hour
PORTIONS - 4
- 4 fresh cod fillets of 200 g each
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 600 g of baby potatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red onion cut in 6-8 quarters
- 200 ml of F olive oil (or other high quality olive oil)
- 200 g of cherry tomatoes
- 30 g of sliced black olives
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F)
2. Place the cod fillets in an ovenproof dish. Season with salt and pepper (use approximately 1 tsp of salt for the 800 g of fresh cod). Top the fish fillets with the garlic cloves, the bay leaf, the rosemary, the red onion and the cherry tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil.
3. Leave the skin on the potatoes and wash them thoroughly. Arrange them on a baking sheet and sprinkle them with salt.
4. Place both the potatoes and the fish dish in the oven. Let the cod cook for 15 minutes and the potatoes cook for 40 minutes.
5. Add to the potatoes to the cod dish, put it back in the oven 5 minutes or until the fish is warm enough to be served.