Red wine chicken and mushroom stew
Learn how to make this typical Portuguese chicken stew with red wine. Afordable and easy to prepare, this dish is a healthy option for a convivial meal to enjoy family style on a cold evening.
PREPARATION - 25 minutes
COOKING - 1 hour
PORTIONS - 4
- 1 chicken of 1.2 kg, cut in pieces with the skin still on
- 250 ml of F wine red (or any other red wine)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp of F olive oil (or any other high quality olive oil)
- 100 g of bacon bites
- 200 g of fresh mushrooms of your liking, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tbsp of copped parsley
- Salt and pepper
1. The night before:
Marinate the chicken in the red wine, the garlic, the paprika, the bay leaves, the salt and pepper.
2. The day after:
Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Once heated, add the bacon bites and the pieces of chicken. Set the marinade aside.
3. Once the chicken is brown, add the red bell pepper and the mushrooms.
4. Baste the chicken with the marinade and cook over low heat until the chicken is tender (approximately 30-35 minutes).
5. Take the chicken out of the saucepan and reduce the sauce for a few minutes (approximately 7 minutes).
6. Garnish with parsley.
7. Serve with Carlos’ rice.